Our advert for 3x web developers is live on our organisations recruitment system at https://barnsley.gov.uk/jobs. Here is a quick peak at the advert.
It’s a very exciting time for our team right now as we build our MyBarnsley Account for citizens and release new digital services using our continually improving, in-house developed low-code solution. Voice assistant services are just around the corner, as are huge improvements to our progressive web app and potential opportunity for collaboration with Gov.UK product teams.
Digital / Web Developer
We’re seeking a Web Developer to join our organisation in Barnsley. The successful applicant will receive £34,106 - £37,107 per annum depending on experience.
Creativity, ambition and a focus on people. That’s what matters to us. Our award-winning council is on an exciting journey of change. It’s all about putting local people at the heart of everything we do, listening to and doing good for our communities. We’re now more innovative, more efficient and provide better value for money. The changes are clear to see - from new businesses and jobs, to improving school results and to museums being recognised for our community engagement.
The successful Web Developer will specialise in Web Development and will work with other developers to introduce a comprehensive suite of digital services to our online presence, balancing user needs against business goals and technology capabilities. These will provide essential access channels for local residents, businesses and visitors to transact with us, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at their convenience and on the devices of their choosing.
The successful Web Developer will:
- Provide technical leadership across all aspects of the technology stack, demonstrating strong problem solving skills
- Use agile working practices, test driven developments and continuous integration/delivery with pair programming and code refactoring as required
- Maintain an awareness of website development trends and continually review and introduce new tools to optimise delivery processes and improve the quality of work produced by the team
- Apply your expert knowledge in design workshops with stakeholders, utilising emergent design principles and patterns to produce well-engineered solutions
We are looking for a Web Developer with strong knowledge and substantial demonstrable experience in the following:
- Mobile first, responsive design, progressive enhancement
- A relevant Level 6 qualification
- HTML5 with an appreciation of semantic structures
- CSS - Sass/Less/PostCSS
- Server side languages and architecture, ideally C# ASP.NET / Core
- Build tools e.g. Grunt/Gulp/Webpack
- TDD testing tools e.g. MSTest, xUnit, Selenium
- ORM’s and Databases e.g. Entity Framework and MSSQL
- Code quality - hinting/linting
- Git - branching/merging/pull requests
- Digital/web development / product delivery
- Supportive, communicative and collaborative approach to working in a team
- Understanding of the different drivers and needs of customers
Knowledge of or experience in any of the following would be advantageous but is not essential:
- Design patterns
- An ITIL Foundation Certificate would be advantageous
- Security e.g. OWASP top 10
- WCAG 2.0, WAI-ARIA techniques
- Cloud based environments e.g. Azure / AWS
- Working with content management systems e.g. Umbraco/WordPress
- Creating intuitive, positive user experiences
- Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code
- Team Foundation Server or Microsoft DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team System)
In return for your commitment, the successful Web Developer will receive £34,106 - £37,107 per annum and a host of benefits including:
- Local Government Pension Scheme (employer contributions are significantly higher than your own)
- Between 21 and 30 days annual leave
- Up to four days volunteering time
- Flexi hours
- A range of lifestyle discounts on grocery shopping, health & beauty prodcuts, children & family and much more
- Technology scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- And many more!
If you would like to join us in Barnsley then please visit our jobs site today at https://barnsley.gov.uk/jobs for further instructions of how to continue with your application. There you’ll find our list of current vacancies (including this one) and importantly advice on how to complete an application.